Nokia Lumia 920 Update: Storage Check on Windows Phone 8


Storage Check is a brand new feature that got added to Windows Phone 8 as a result of a recent update delivered to Nokia Lumia 920. When I first got this phone I was confused as to how can I clean the memory on this phone. I couldn't even view the memory consumed by the apps that I installed on the phone. Hence, even though I did not have a lot of multimedia on the phone, I could see half my mass memory already consumed. Thus, 'Storage Check' is a new feature on Windows Phone 8 added under Settings which shows all the memory details that I wanted to see and analyze.



Once you launch Storage Check, it starts analyzing the memory space to create a pie chart kind of view that categorizes the memory usage between Apps, Media & Files, System and Free Space. If you swipe to the 'details' page, you can further analyze the memory used by Apps. All you need to do is click on the 'details' button under Apps to see the further categorization app-by-app. What I observed was that depending on the app size, memory was allocated to the application which seemed to be reserved and showed as consumed.


HD Games consumed a lot of space as compared to the small utilites. For instance, PAC MAN CE DX was allocated a memory of 282 MB, out of which it had used minimal as the app was not running. Small utilities like, Sky Drive, Nokia Care, Panorama, etc had memory allocated under 25 MB.

The most important function of this feature was to give the end user the ability to clear temporary space. This function is also trigger by the OS itself however 'Storage Check' gives you the ability to tap on the 'clear' button and clean the temp space.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...